Neil McDonald's Dynamics CRM Blog

Posts Tagged ‘iis

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 Installation

with one comment

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 was made available for download earlier today. You can grab it from here if you’d like to try it out. Also, you can get the official implementation guides from here.

Since my CRM 2011 setup video proved quite popular, I thought I’d take the opportunity to record an updated version for 2013 while I setup my own development environment.

The video is embedded below, but I recommend watching it on YouTube in HD quality, otherwise some of the text can be quite hard to read.

I hope that you find it useful!

Written by neilmcd

October 8, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Posted in CRM 2013

Tagged with , , , , ,

Reducing Bandwidth Requirements Via Compression

leave a comment »

I’ve been looking at ways to try to increase the performance of our CRM infrastructure recently. I followed this Technet Optimisation guide some time ago, but thought it was worth a revisit. The tips here were great when I first configured our CRM environment, but that was almost 2 years ago now!

One thing which jumped out at me was the ‘Using Compression Techniques’ section. I remember following this in the past, but the section on ‘Dynamic Compression’ jumped out at me, as I don’t recall following before. It specifically talks about compressing responses sent to SDK clients such as the Outlook client. Standard HTTP compression does not do this, so since a lot of my our users use the Outlook client, I gave it a go.

Both the command line and GUI steps can be found in the Technet article, but here are the IIS 7.5 steps which I followed to enable it: –

  1. In Internet Information Services Manager, click the <Server name>, scroll down in the Features View to the Management section, and then start the Configuration Editor.
    comp-1

    Read the rest of this entry »

Written by neilmcd

February 19, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Posted in CRM 2011

Tagged with , , ,

CRM 2011 Repeated Login Prompt

leave a comment »

Updated at the bottom for the CRM 2011 Release Candidate.

I’ve had this issue recently and it was driving me crazy. The CRM worked fine from the server with http://localhost and http://server-name, but if I tried to access it from anywhere else, I was repeatedly asked for login credentials. I got around it temporarily by adding a host header to the site, but this still caused me problems when trying to access the web services.

I’ve read some articles suggesting the below method to fix this:

  • go to IIS manager
  • select the CRM website
  • select Authentication
  • select windows authentication
  • click on Providers, and add kerberos as the second enabled provider after NTLM

Unfortunately, this didn’t work for me. Instead, I got it working by editing the file  %windir%system32inetsrvconfigapplicationHost.config as below.

For all of the CRM web site nodes find and replace all instances of: –

<windowsAuthentication enabled="true" />

with

<windowsAuthentication enabled="true" useAppPoolCredentials="true" />

Read the rest of this entry »

Written by neilmcd

December 10, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Posted in CRM 2011

Tagged with , ,