Neil McDonald's Dynamics CRM Blog

Posts Tagged ‘activedirectory

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 Installation

with one comment

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 was made available for download earlier today. You can grab it from here if you’d like to try it out. Also, you can get the official implementation guides from here.

Since my CRM 2011 setup video proved quite popular, I thought I’d take the opportunity to record an updated version for 2013 while I setup my own development environment.

The video is embedded below, but I recommend watching it on YouTube in HD quality, otherwise some of the text can be quite hard to read.

I hope that you find it useful!

Written by neilmcd

October 8, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Posted in CRM 2013

Tagged with , , , , ,

Restricting Hosted CRM Users From Browsing Active Directory

with one comment

When adding users to CRM via the Add Multiple Users wizard, it’s possible to view all users in Active Directory and then add them as CRM users

Screen_shot_2012-12-20_at_17

In a hosted environment, this is not ideal, as admin users for each organisation will be able to see users from all other hosted customers.

With CRM 4, there was a method of restricting users to only browse users in a particular business unit (see here). Unfortunately, this tool does not work with CRM 2011.

By looking at an old CRM 4 instance, I had a hunt around to see which settings were actually changed by the config tool to see if they would still work in CRM 2011. Thankfully, I found where to add the settings and it still appears to work in CRM 2011.

Note: The rest of this post involves making changes directly to the MSCRM_CONFIG database and this is completely unsupported. Please only try this if you have your CRM databases backed up. Please try it on a test environment first. Read the rest of this entry »

Written by neilmcd

December 20, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Posted in CRM 2011

Tagged with , ,

CRM 2011 Add Multiple Users Error

with 2 comments

I’ve been having an issue when trying to add multiple users on the CRM 2011 release candidate. I could add individual users fine, but the multiple users wizard showed the below error after selecting the license type and authentication provider.

Ldaperror

I looked in the event viewer and saw this message

Exception information:     Exception type: ActiveDirectoryObjectNotFoundException     Exception message: The specified domain does not exist     or cannot be contacted.

I could add users fine individually, so my domain could definitely be contacted, so why was this error only occuring when trying to load multiple users? I turned on tracing, which displayed this:

Process: w3wp |Organization:38fbda44-2715-e011-8b1e-00151d004a11 |Thread: 4 |Category: Exception |User: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 |Level: Error | SystemLabelDictionaryCacheLoader.LogDetails

Read the rest of this entry »

Written by neilmcd

February 11, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Posted in CRM 2011

Tagged with ,

Changing an Active Directory username in CRM

leave a comment »

Add_user_error

One of our users had complained that their name was spelled incorrectly. I made the changes in AD, Exchange and in her CRM user account, but when I tried to change her domain login name in CRM, I received the error ‘You are attempting to create a user with a domain logon that is already used by another user…’

To get around it, I made the change directly in the organisation database. The domain login name is stored in the ‘DomainName’ column of the ‘SystemUserBase’ table, so I just edited the data within SQL management studio.

FYI – Although I do this, I don’t recommend making any changes to the CRM databases directly. A safer workaround is posted here

Written by neilmcd

July 7, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Posted in CRM 4

Tagged with ,